MAKES: 2 quarts (~2L)
- 2 ½ quarts (2.3L) water
- 2 carrots, scrubbed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, trimmed and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp (15g) whole black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10g) dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 bay leaves
1. In a stockpot, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer stock, uncovered, for one hour.
3. Strain stock through a fine-meshed sieve, pushing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids and allow stock to cool to room temperature. It can now be refrigerated for up to three days before use, or frozen for up to six months before use.