For the filling:
- 1 ½ cup (300g) sugar
- 4 cups (500g) rhubarb & strawberry
- 3 tbsp (23g) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 1 tsp (5g) nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5g) margarine
For the crust:
- 2 cups (240g) flour
- ⅔ cup (150g) cold butter
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 6-7 tbsp (90-100mL) water
- Milk & sugar (optional)
1. Cut up the rhubarb and strawberries.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and nutmeg. Add the fruit and toss to combine, then put it off to the side.
3. In another medium bowl, combine the flour and salt, then cut in the butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Add the water one tablespoon (15mL) at a time and stir with a fork until it forms a dough. Separate it into two equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, place down a ball of dough and roll it out with a rolling pin.
5. Once the dough has been flattened out, transfer it to a pie dish and carefully pat it into place. Cut the edges all the way around with a knife to remove excess dough.
6. Pour the filling into the pie and dot it with margarine (take small amounts of margarine and place them on the filling in various places for even distribution). Take the second ball of dough and repeat the process with the first ball, and place it over the filling carefully to cover the whole pie.
7. Cut off the excess dough, this time leaving a bit extra on the edge. The extra dough will be tucked under edge of the pie plate to hold it in place. Cut slits in the center of the pie to allow steam to escape. You can use the excess dough to create designs to decorate the pie if you like. Once it's ready, you can brush milk on to the dough with a pastry brush and sprinkle sugar on top if you like.
8. Bake in a 375F (190C) oven for 45 minutes or until done. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.