Red Beans & Rice
- 2 cups dried kidney beans, picked over and rinsed
- ¼ cup (30mL) canola oil
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp (15g) ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp (15g) dried thyme
- 2 tsp (10g) dried oregano
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5g) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (5g) freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 1 tbsp (15mL) Tabasco sauce
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
1. Put beans in a saucepan and cover with ten cups water. Let soak overnight. Drain beans.
2. Heat oil in an dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic, celery, onions, and peppers, season with salt, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 12 minutes.
3. Add white pepper, thyme, oregano, cayenne, and black pepper. Stir until fragrant, about two minutes.
4. Add beans, bay leaves, and ham hocks, as well as six cups water, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until beans and ham hocks are tender, about two hours.
6. Remove hocks from pot, remove and discard bones and skin, and finely chop meat; return to pot along with hot sauce and stir until combined.
7. Serve over rice and sprinkle with scallions. Enjoy!