MAKES: 2 quarts (~2L)
- 3 ½ cups (700g) sugar
- 1 ½ cup (354mL) white vinegar
- 1 ½ cup (354mL) water
- 14-16 ripe medium peaches, peeled
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- One 1-inch (2.5cm) piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1. Combine sugar, vinegar, and water in a medium pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Place peaches in liquid in small batches and cook, turning over once or twice, until peaches soften but before they turn fuzzy - about 4-5 minutes per batch.
3. Put cloves, cinnamon, and sugar in a jar. Cut any brown spots off the peaches, slice the peaches in halves or quarters, and discard the pits. Spoon peaches into jar.
4. Return liquid to a boil and pour over peaches into jar. Let liquid settle, then add more as necessary until jar is full. Discard any remaining liquid. Peaches will keep up to four weeks.