Orange & Ginger Pickled Beets
MAKES: 1 quart (~1L)
- 4 medium beets, peeled and sliced into ⅛ inch-thick (0.3cm) rounds
- 1 tsp (5g) brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp (5g) whole allspice
- 1 tsp (5g) black peppercorns
- 1 tsp (5g) whole cloves
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1-inch (2.5cm) piece ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Peel of 1 orange, cut into wide strips
- 2 tbsp (30mL) whey
- 2 tbsp (30mL) honey
- 3 cups (708mL) warm water
1. Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and add beets. Cook until just tender, about three minutes.
2. Drain, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let sit for two minutes.
3. Drain again and place beets in a jar, along with mustard seeds, allspice, peppercorns, cloves, ginger, and orange.
4. In a bowl, stir whey, honey, and water. Pour over beets until covered and seal jar.
5. Cover jar with a kitchen towel and let cure on the counter at room temperature for around a week. Afterward, season with salt and chill before enjoying.