- ½ cup (120mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp (60g) unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ baguette, cut into ½-inch (1.2cm) cubes
- 3-4 lb (1.3-1.8kg) tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus sprigs for garnish
1. Heat oven to 350F (175C).
2. Heat ¼ cup (60mL) oil and the butter together in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. When butter has melted, remove skillet from heat and add garlic and bread cubes to the mix. Place skillet in oven and bake until bread cubes are golden and crisp, 10-15 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and set aside to cool.
3. Prepare the tomatoes: core and slice into medium cubes. Put tomatoes in a large bowl, add vinegar and remaining ¼ cup (60mL) oil, then season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Shortly before serving, toss bread and basil with the tomatoes. Adjust seasonings. Spoon panzanella into four bowls and garnish with sprigs of basil, if desired.