MAKES: 3 cups (710mL)
- One 28-oz (794g) can tomato puree
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ fresh jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 2 tbsp (30g) dark brown sugar
- ½ cup (117mL) cider vinegar
- 1 cup (235mL) water
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of celery salt
- Pinch of dry mustard
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Put tomato puree, onion, jalapeño, and sugar into a blender or food processor and pulse until blended.
2. Add vinegar and water and puree until smooth.
3. Transfer to a medium saucepan. Add spices and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into jar(s). Store in sealed jars in the fridge for up to one month.