MAKES: 2 loaves
- 2 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10g) active dry yeast
- 2 cups (472g) water, heated to 120F (48C)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) olive oil
- 6 cups (720g) bread flour
- 1 tbsp (15g) kosher salt
1. Place 1 tbsp (12.5g) sugar, yeast, and water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitting with a hook; let sit until foamy, about ten minutes.
2. Add remaining 1 tbsp (12.5g) sugar and the oil, then add flour and salt. Mix on low speed until dough forms; increase speed to medium-high and knead dough until smooth, 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove bowl from mixer and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit until doubled in size, 1 ½ to 2 hours
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead dough briefly and form into a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a 16 inch (40.5cm)-long rope.
5. Place rope on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let sit until doubled in size, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
6. Heat oven to 375F (190C).
7. Using a sharp knife, slash a long line down the middle of each loaf, about ½-inch (1.2cm) deep. Bake loaves until lightly golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of each loaf reads 208-212F (97-100C), 18-20 minutes.
8. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving