Honey & Herb Biscuits
MAKES: Roughly 2 dozen
- 7 ½ cups (900g) flour
- ¼ cup (30g) finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tbsp (45g) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10g) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp (10g) kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5g) freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup (150g) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and chilled
- 2 cups (472mL) buttermilk
- ¾ cup (177mL) half-and-half
- ¼ cup (60mL) honey
1. Heat oven to 375F (190g).
2. Whisk together flour, rosemary, baking powder, thyme, salt, baking soda, and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Add butter and, using your fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until pea-size crumbles form.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, half-and-half, and honey, add to dry ingredients and stir together with a fork until just combined.
5. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface, and pat out into a one inch (2.5cm)-thick disk. Using a 3-inch (7.5cm) round cutter, cut out biscuits and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, arranging them so their edges touch. Reroll scraps and cut out more biscuits until all of the dough is used.
6. Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes.