MAKES: About 30 falafel
- ½ lb (227g) dried peeled split fava beans, soaked overnight
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ¾ cup (50g) chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch scallions, green parts only, coarsely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5g) ground cumin
- ½ tsp (2.5g) baking powder
- 1 ¼ tsp (6.25g) salt
- 1 tbsp (15g) coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Drain beans and place in a food processor. Add garlic and puree until ground.
2. Add parsley, scallions, cumin, baking powder, salt, and cilantro, and pulse until beans are thoroughly ground and mixture holds together.
3. Wet hands (mixture will be sticky) and form mixture into 30 balls. Flatten each slightly, to ensure even cooking, and place on waxed paper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
4. Meanwhile, heat 2 inches (5cm) of oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Drop fava falafel balls in hot oil a few at a time and fry until golden, 5-10 minutes; repeat with remaining balls. Drain on paper towels and serve.