- 1 ½ lb (680g) russet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 tbsp (60mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5g) mustard seeds (optional)
- ½ tsp (2.5g) ground turmeric
- 1 cup (150g) yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15g) fresh ginger, grated
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- 3 fresh serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and reduce heat. Simmer for 5 minutes or until just tender but still firm when pierced with a fork. Drain well.
2. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium. Add the mustard seeds, if using, and turmeric; cook 10 seconds. Add onion, ginger, and salt. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are beginning to soften and spices are fragrant but don’t let them burn.
3. Add potatoes, spreading in an even layer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are browned on bottom. Stir in half the chiles while turning potatoes. Cook 10 minutes more, without stirring.
4. Divide potatoes among four plates; top each with cilantro and remaining chiles. Serve with eggs if desired.