Chicken and Vegetable Rolls
For the rolls:
- 1oz (28g) bean thread noodles
- 3 tbsp (45mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10mL) fish sauce
- 2 tsp (10g) packed light brown sugar
- Six 8-inch (20cm) rice paper pancakes
- ½ lb (227g) cooked chicken, cut into ½-inch strips
- ½ small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 12 scallions, green tops only
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into ½-inch matchsticks
For the dipping sauce:
- ⅓ cup (80mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30mL) rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp (10mL) Asian sesame oil
1. Place noodles in a bowl, cover with boiling water, and allow to soak for ten minutes. Then, drain and pat dry with paper towels. Return noodles to bowl.
2. In a second, smaller bowl, combine vinegar, fish sauce, and sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar. Toss liquid with noodles and set aside.
3. Fill another bowl with very hot water and place it, along with a damp kitchen towel in front of you. Put the rice paper pancakes on a plate and cover with a damp towel.
4. Fill one rice paper at a time, making sure the rest stay covered. Completely submerge the pancake in the hot water for two seconds before placing it on the damp towel in front of you.
5. Arrange ⅙ of the noodles, chicken, cucumber, scallions, and carrot across the bottom of the pancake. Fold sides over filling and roll tightly but gently. Place roll on a plate and cover with a damp towel.
6. Repeat until all rice paper pancakes are filled.
7. If not serving immediately, wrap each individually in a damn paper towel, place them in a resealable bag, and refrigerate up to six hours in advance.
8. For the sauce, combine soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Stir well.
9. To serve, cut each roll in half and keep sauce separate. Enjoy!