- 1 ½ cup (355mL) olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ lb (0.2kg) day-old crusty Italian or French white bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp (2.5mL) Tabasco sauce
- 4 oil-packed anchovy-filets, drained and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ lb (0.35kg) whole romaine lettuce leaves, inner leaves only
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (100g) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Heat 1 cup oil (235mL) and 1 garlic clove in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Add bread and cook, tossing often, until golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain and set aside.
3. Rub remaining garlic over the inside of a large wooden serving bowl and leave in bowl. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, hot sauce, anchovies, salt, and pepper, and whisk until anchovies break down. Add remaining oil and whisk until just blended.
4. Add lettuce leaves and toss to coat in dressing. Drizzle egg over leaves and toss again until evenly coated.
5. Add reserved croutons, cheese, salt, and pepper, and toss until evenly coated. Serve immediately.