Beet Eingemachtes (Beet Jam)
"Eingemachte" is the German word for "canned" or "preserves"!
MAKES: 5-6 pints (2365-2840mL)
- 7 lbs (3.2kg) beets, peeled
- 4 ½ lbs (2kg) sugar (10 ¾ cups / 2150g))
- ½ cup water (118mL)
- 6 lemons
- 1 ½ tbsp (23g) ground ginger
- 1 cup (140g) whole blanched almonds (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil beets until you can just stick a fork through them. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Cut beets into small even pieces. Place in a large saucepan with sugar and water. Heat gently, stirring often. Once liquid starts to come out of the beets, turn up the heat so it bubbles gently.
3. Bring a second large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil lemons for one minute and drain. Peel off skin and pith (spongy white tissue) and discard them both. Cut lemons into half inch slices, then into small square pieces. Discard the seeds.
4. Once the beets have been cooking for an hour, add lemons and continue simmering. After another 30 minutes, add ginger.
5. Cook until thick and jam-like (it will thicken more as it cools as well), about 1 ½ hours.
6. Add almonds if using and mix well. Pour into jars and cool before covering. Store in the fridge for up to one month.