Arroz con Pollo (Rice and Chicken)
- ½ cup (118mL) olive oil
- 1 ½ lb (680g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 habanero chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced (optional)
- 3 tbsp (45mL) tomato paste
- 2 tsp (10g) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5g) ground annatto
- 1 tsp (5g) ground allspice
- 3 tbsp (45g) finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- One 12oz (355mL) bottle lager beer
- One 15oz (445mL) can whole, peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 2 ¾ cups (650mL) chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups (265g) long grain white rice, rinsed, drained, and soaked in cold water for one hour
- ½ cup (90g) frozen corn, thawed
- ⅓ cup (60g) pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (45g) Spanish capers, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup (20g) minced fresh cilantro
- 3 tbsp (45mL) fresh lime juice
1. Heat oven to 350F (175C).
2. Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then cook, flipping once, until browned and almost cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool, then shred and set aside.
3. Add garlic, onions, chile (if using), and bell pepper to the pot and cook until soft, 6-8 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste, cumin, annatoo, allspice, thyme, and bay leaf, then cook until slightly caramelized, about two minutes.
5. Add beer and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about six minutes. Add tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
6. Add reserved chicken along with the rice, then cover and bake until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
7. Uncover pot and stir in corn, olives, capers, cilantro, and lime juice, and season with salt and pepper.