Apple Pie Muffins
MAKES: 12 muffins
- 2 ¼ cups + ⅓ cup (215g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2.5g) salt
- 1 cup (236mL) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (235g) diced apples
- 1 tsp (5g) baking soda
- 1 egg
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (143g) butter, melted
- 2 cups (400g) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5g) ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper muffin cups.
2. In a large bowl, stir together 2 ¼ cups (170g) flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate smaller bowl, mix together the egg, buttermilk, ½ cup (113g) melted butter, vanilla, and 1 ½ cup brown sugar (300g) until the sugar has dissolved. Pour into the flour mixture and added the diced apple as well.
4. Stir until everything is just blended. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, filling the cups to the top.
5. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining flour and brown sugar, as well as the cinnamon. Drizzle in the remaining 2 tbsp (30g) of melted butter while tossing with a fork until well blended. Sprinkle this over the tops of the muffins.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed.